Thursday, August 07, 2008

what it's like to be homeless for a day...

Jordan and I arrived in St Louis a little while ago.  We spent the night in the Baltimore-Washington Airport.  Our train arrived around 1:30am and we had to check in for our flight at 5am... so I figured what's the point of getting a room?  By the time we would have got there and got checked in, it would have been time to check out and go to the airport.  We were the ONLY ones there.  We laid on these horribly uncomfortable benches with wooden slats... it was terrible. I don't know if it's because we were so tired or the fact that there were no other people in the airport, but it was freezing.  I think it must have been 50 degrees in there.  We started layering on the clothes and I put on Jordan's new jacket... those of you who know me, know that I cannot wear her clothes... at least not comfortably.  I was contemplating either wadding up newspapers to lay on, cover up with or stuff inside my clothes to keep warm.  Eventually we climbed into the wheelchair area and picked a chair in the back where no one could get to us, wrapped our arms and legs around our bags and took a little nap.  Once we could check in and go to the gate, we ran for the really comfy looking leather plush chairs and napped a little more.  It was kind of like having a newborn... sleeping with one foot on the ground, one ear listening to every little noise and one eye open.  Not the least bit refreshing, but sleep all the same.  At one point, Jordan was crying and I was pissed. It really wasn't all the bad... now that it's over.  It's good to be back in the Midwest. Our accommodations definitely went downhill as the trip progressed... we started out in a 4 star Marriott, then went to a hell hole hostel to sleeping in a wheelchair!  Thank God we're home!
Photobucket

3 comments:

Linda said...

I'm glad you are back safe and sound. Have a nice weekend. Love, MOM E

SisterMom said...

Can't wait to meet you guys--tomorrow!!!

ellerbee eight said...
This comment has been removed by the author.