Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Book Review

The Shack by William P. Young.
While in DC, I read the most incredible book. The book is about a face to face interaction between a man named Mack and God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit. Now whether you believe, as Mack does, that this was a real face to face interaction with God, or just a dream, or a critical illness induced hallucination, either way this book will change the way you think about your personal one to one relationship with God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit.

In the story, Mack's 5 year old daughter is abducted and murdered while under his care. Mack spends 4 long years with the great sadness weighing him down, unable to fully understand or come to grips with his loss. Four years later he receives a letter from God asking him to meet him in the shack where his daughter was murdered. Mack goes to the shack and has a life altering experience which helps to transform and rejuvenate his relationship with God. We have all either been asked or asked ourselves why does God allow such evil to abound, why does God allow things like this to happen, and in this course of events and detailed conversations with God, a light is shone on God's perspective.

Excerpt "Mack, just because I work incredible good out of unspeakable tragedies doesn't mean I orchestrate the tragedies. Don't ever assume that my using something means I caused it or that I need it to accomplish my purposes. That will only lead you to false notions about me. Grace doesn't depend on suffering to exist, but where there is suffering you will find grace in many facets and colors."

I would highly recommend this book to any and everyone. Whether you are a believer or a doubter, whether you lack faith or just want to increase your faith, this book will make you rethink your personal relationship with God.

1 comment:

Amy said...

I bought this book a couple of months ago and havent gotten around to reading it. One of my girlfriends from church just got done reading it and said she loved it also. Now it is on my "must read" list.

We so enjoyed our time with you guys last weekend!!! Already looking forward to next year.

Hugs!