Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Retail Therapy... Ellerbee style

Yesterday was a bad day.

A bad, bad, homeschool day.

I was ready to send Josh back to public school yesterday for bad attitude and overall just making me crazy. I have come to the conclusion that one of the reasons Josh and I crack heads at times is because we are so much alike.

Yes, if you squint your eyes and look very closely, there are similarities.

He gets so angry at himself when he can't do something right the first time. For being so lazy, he is amazingly perfectionistic. Sounds like an oxymoron doesn't it? I can't motivate him for the life of me, but when he can't do something correctly the first time he tries it, he totally and completely shuts down.

I have been known to be a bit ... um... perfectionistic.
I know. Hard to believe.

It took me a long time to realize that his anger was not directed at me, but rather at himself. On days like yesterday, I really didn't care at whom he was directing his anger. I was done.

So the girls and I decided to go shopping.

What do you buy when your life revolves around your kids and you aren't a big shopper?

Well, I'm glad you asked.

You end up going to WalMart....

eating grapes out of the package...

that you haven't yet paid for...

and buy preemie baby clothes on clearance for your girls' dolls...

because it makes them smile.

The girls, not the dolls.


Oh and a purple hole punch because one can never have too many hole punches.

Just when I thought my life couldn't get any more lame and pathetic, I get to see it in writing.

Great.

Photobucket

1 comment:

Anne said...

I deal with the "lazy" in my 12 year old. I had it too. I really think it goes hand-in-hand with the perfectionism. You see, if you don't try, you can't fail and be angry with yourself for not meeting your own extraordinarily high standards. Right now I try to explain that if he were perfect, he wouldn't need to learn. He could teach me! Good luck to you. I know I bump heads most with my children who are most like me, too.