Sunday, September 07, 2008

I have a blessed life

I made a vow when I started this blog to not write about my work, however I am going to write a little snippet about how my career has shaped my life and how blessed I am by it. I know many people probably feel sorry for me because I have to work.
I have never considered myself to be an ultra feminist or anything like that. I believe that women can do anything men can do, and can often do it better. I believe in equal pay for equal work. I want my girls to know that they can do anything they want. I want my boys to know that women deserve the same respect as men. The media has been addressing the question of whether a woman can have it all and still do it well... and I'm here to say that woman can absolutely have it all and do it all, and do it well. In fact, I believe we are meant to. Whether that means you are a stay at home mom or a mom who works outside of the home, we are called to make a difference. I really don't have to work... I mean I do if I want to feed these children, but in all reality, I choose to work. If we were to change our lifestyle, I would not have to work. I get to work. I have been blessed with a job where I can work two 12 hour shifts on the weekend and make full time wages. I've had people say that I miss out on so much because I work Friday and Saturday nights, which is only partly true. My kids haven't been in daycare since I was pregnant with Justine 6 years ago. I get to be there to teach them, play with them, take field trips with them, and stay home when they are sick. I work nights while everyone else sleeps. Am I sleep deprived? Absolutely! But I am blessed. I have been blessed with the opportunity to stay home with my children Monday through Friday, and still be able to go to most soccer games on Saturday and church on Sunday afternoon. I have been blessed that I can homeschool my children, be a soccer mom, and be home during the week. I have been blessed that I made a really good choice 16 years ago when I became a registered nurse.
So where was I going with this? Oh yeah... a day in the life of a critical care nurse.
The life of a critical care nurse is one of adrenaline rushes, OCD tendencies and intense emotions. I have seen things that turn my stomach, tear at my heart and make me laugh until I cry. I have seen things that scare the crap out of me, but I push on. I jump in and do what needs to be done and freak out later. I have experienced people in all stages of life, all socio economic classes, and educational levels. I have been able to stand in the corner of a room praying for a patient and their family while my patient took their last breath. I have often been the link between life and death.
I look forward to Friday nights when I get to go back to work. I need to get out of here every once in a while. I need to use the brain God gave me. I need to think about something other than spelling tests and peanut butter sandwiches. There is nothing more exciting and challenging to me than a really, really critically ill, unstable patient on every medication known to man, who is like a puzzle that I have 12 hours to put together. Awesome! I have been in my current location of the surgical intensive care unit for almost 12 years and despite the frustrations and exhaustion, I wouldn't change what I do for anything... (except maybe a jackpot lottery winning.)
Photobucket

4 comments:

A brief bio: said...

It's such a good feeling to love what you do. Acting in a helping capacity is amazingly rewarding... Crystal

Jenny H said...

It is a true blessing when you love what you do and you are great at it. You are a awesome nurse and an even more wonderful mother. I hope I used the right grammer! I admire the woman that you are. Love you all big as the sky.
Jenny

Linda said...

I know of family members who thank God for you every day. Keep up the good work! Linda

Laurel said...

It's wonderful when God shows us how to balance our family and our jobs. I worked full-time the past 5 years, while homeschooling 7 children.

My job was also my "ministry", just as any nurses job is.

Laurel