Thursday, May 01, 2008

Jack and the three little bears

So I've been putting a lot of thought into how we can get the most out of our summer. What do all the kids need help with the most (academically speaking), and what can I do to make it the most fun? So I have come up with some curriculum ideas for Josh and Jameson, am still working on teaching Justine to read before she starts Kindergarten in the fall, and in general making Jack and Jaiden read their little tails off this summer.

Part of this plan is to READ, READ, READ to them. I realized that Josh and Jameson have never heard a lot of Fairy Tales or Mother Goose stories that most kids know; so that's where we're starting. Tonight we read Jack and the Beanstalk... they were all yelling in unison, "Fe Fi Fo Fum..."
We also read The Three Bears. It's amazing how much all of them enjoy these classic stories. I can honestly say having all 5 of them piled into my bed while I read to them, using different voices and goofy facial expressions was a really good way to bond; both the kids with me and the kids with each other.
It's so awesome to see them learning how to interpret fantasy and creativeness. When it go to the part of the giant eating the little boys on toast, they both said, "What's toast?" When I explained that it was bread... it took a second and then they both said, "OHHH Gross."

This is Jack and the three bears trying to con me into letting them sleep in my bed...

Trying to pretend to be asleep... Kids, it's not working...

I know you're not asleep...

Don't they look so sweet? It was tempting but...

I know somebody's sleeping in my bed... and they're all still there...

No way, no how are you ALL sleeping in here...

And poor Justine who just wanted to be rocked;waiting patiently in the rocking chair. By the time we got everyone out of my bed and tucked into theirs, she was asleep.

No comments: