Thursday, May 29, 2008

I know what I need to do...

I know what I need to do. I've known for a long time.
Josh came home with a schedule for Junior High for next year. These people are making me mutter things under my breath that I really don't want to mutter. They are pushing me... and perhaps that's what I actually need. I have homeschooled the other kids. I know what I'm doing. I gave into the thought that the "professionals" knew better than I did. I made a mistake. Josh told me this week that they are only "watching movies and playing" all week at school. I asked him, "What's the point of going then?" He only shrugged his shoulders as if to say he didn't get it either. His English has NOT progressed at all in the last 2 months that he has been in that public institution with the professionals.

Jeff and I have talked in depth about this. It is our desire to get the kids ready for Gloria Deo Academy. Gloria Deo is the best thing that has ever happened to us. It is a hybrid, private, Christian school where our kids go to school 2 days a week and are homeschooled 3 days a week. It is VERY academically rigorous. It is based on classical education with a biblical focus. There is a lot of poetry recitation and scripture memory. Our kids can diagram a sentence better than most people I know. I am afraid that it would be so over Josh and Jameson's heads right now that it would only serve to frustrate them, and potentially make them feel bad about themselves.
I THINK (I'm not totally sure) I am going to strictly homeschool Josh and Jameson next year with the same curriculum Jack, Jaiden and Justine will use at Gloria Deo Academy. Hopefully, this one on one time with them will help get them caught up faster and more appropriately than the movie watching, candy eating, horsing around public school.
Jeff and I have made many sacrifices over the years to spend time with our kids. One of these sacrifices is our work schedules. Jeff works Monday through Friday, and I work nights on the weekend. Unfortunately, as an RN with 15 years experience, critical care certification and a bachelor's degree, I cannot give up my salary to stay home full time. I'm not sure I could anyway. I kind of enjoy a really good, sick patient from time to time. So our issue comes with working out the logistics of finding a tutor or someone who could work with the kids while I sleep for a few hours on Monday. I'm not going to take them out of school where they watch movies and do nothing and bring them home to watch movies and do nothing while I try to catch a few ZZZ'a post a 12 hour night shift. So I am thinking and figuring things out. I have a few people who's kids will be in school (with mine) on Mondays and might want to help out. The next issue is where to start with them. Hopefully this summer I will be able to get a better grasp about what they know and what they don't. For those of you readers who are teachers, please don't get me wrong. I am not downing the teachers. Jameson's teacher has been absolutely wonderful this year. I am frustrated with the system. I have had it with the system! And I know from experience, homeschooling is a really great time to instill in your children what you really want they to get, not what they will get from the world. I have known this all along, but somehow got sidetracked by the awe of the professionals. Please wish us all luck in working out all of the details. Let me know if you have any ideas about tutors or reading teachers etc.

3 comments:

Jenny H said...

I have nothing to offer you, but love, support and lots of prayers. I know you can do this and do it well. You will have things runnig like a well oiled machine around there before you know it.

Linda said...

You knew what you needed to do, you just needed the push. I really wish I was in a position to help. I know you will be led in the way you need to go. Our thoughts and prayers are that these two beautiful children get the chance the other 4 did.

Laurel said...

Great decision!

I am a full-time working mom, who still homeschools our youngest 7 children. You can do it!

I, actually, am the program director for a public school that sounds much like your private school. I created the school, with the support of our local school superintendent, as a way to support homeschooling families. We have 180+ students, who attend classes 1 or 2 days per week, and school at home the other days. I'd love to find out more about your school. Do they have a website?

Blessings,

Laurel :)