Thursday, July 10, 2008

Book Review

As you know, I am a book fiend. I am obsessed with Amazon.com as well as B&N, Borders and the library. I get so excited when I find a good book, I wanted to share with you a few of my finds.
All the Colors of the Earth is a beautifully illustrated book about children of the earth who come in all different shades with all different types of hair. The descriptive verses of the book along with the illustrations make it a wonderful read aloud book for any child.
"For love comes in cinnamon, walnut, and wheat, Love is amber and ivory and ginger and sweet."
You can order this book here. I bought a gently used copy at Amazon for $3.20. It looks new to me.

My second wonderful find is When the World Began: Stories Collected in Ethiopia. I first came across this book at our library, and I knew immediately I would have to add it to our home library. This wonderful book has stories from Ethiopia that I'm sure were handed down via oral tradition from generation to generation. These are the things I don't want our children to lose. Some of the stories include: How the tortoise got her shell, The enchanted flute, and The Monkey's Birthday.
You can order this book here. This book was a little more expensive, but it is a hardback book and has many, many stories. It should be on the bookshelf of any child from Ethiopia!

And lastly I found a book by a favorite author Jane Kurtz. Ms. Kurtz is from Ethiopia and has written several children's books about Ethiopia. One of our favorites is Fire on the Mountain. I found a chapter book called The Storyteller's Beads, which is a story about the 1980's famine of Ethiopia. I am going to read it first and then decide who will read it and when, but it is definitely a part of Ethiopian history that I will want our children to know and remember. You can find this book here.

You can see Fire on the Mountain here.

Another great book that I am waiting to arrive is E is for Ethiopia. It is a picture rhyming book that takes you through the alphabet using pictures in Ethiopia. The pictures are awesome and will serve as a great teaching guide for children too young to remember Ethiopia, as well as a great source of comfort for those old enough to remember. Take a look at this wonderful book here.

No comments: