Monday, November 26, 2007

It takes a village

I just have to write about this...someone my mom knows said (in reference to our adoption fundraising) "If they don't have the money to do it, they shouldn't be adopting." Because I guess most people have $25,000 sitting around with nothing to do with it. Now, granted I don't know the context this was said in, or who it was said by, but I do have to make a comment on that one. How many times have I participated in fundraising? If this were the attitude of most, I guess people sending their children to public school would have to rethink that... I can't tell you how many times I have bought things for those fundraisers to support the schools my children don't even go to, who already get a big whopping amount from me in taxes. And the boy scouts? The girl scouts? Dance troupes? Band trips? Missionaries? I could go on and on if I weren't sleep deprived and ready for my bed. Numerous other groups have come knocking at my door (a complete stranger) to beg for money for fundraisers. I guess we should tell the boy scouts that if they don't have the money for their jubilee (or whatever), they shouldn't be in boy scouts? I am so thankful to my friends and family who have donated to our cause. I can't even begin to tell you how thankful. Most of all, I'm thankful you care enough to know what's going on, that you keep in touch, and let us know that we're important to you. I admit, I'm a proud person. I have difficulty asking and receiving help for ANYTHING. Ask Jeff, it makes him crazy that I can't ask for help. But I have asked, and I have received. God has put people in my life who have been very generous to us. It is very important to me that Jordan get to experience this with us, and this fundraising has allowed me to take her with us. Her life will be forever changed, as will ours and Merkeb and Filemon's and just about every other person who will come in contact with them for the rest of their lives. I guess Hilary Clinton was right about one thing (I'll give her just one and that's it!) It does take a village to raise a child. At least it takes a village to get to the village to get the child to raise it. Thanks for all that you do! You guys are the best!
Photobucket

No comments: