Saturday, March 08, 2008

A Teachable Moment

We are trying so hard to make sure the kids know the words for everything, it seems as though Jeff and I are constantly explaining what everything is, telling them the words, making sure they understand it. Everything we do has become a teachable moment. In the middle of WalMart today, Jeff relayed this conversation he had with Joshua last night while channel surfing ie: bonding. I laughed harder than I have laughed in a long time. I'm pretty sure everyone in WalMart thought I was insane.

The conversation went something like this:

Jeff: "This is boxing." accentuating the THIS
Joshua: slowly, with a big aaahhhh in front of it,
"B-O-X-I-N-G?"
Jeff: "Yes, boxing..."
Joshua: thinking deeply about the words he's going to choose, "I like the boxing... aaahhhh.... where they throw chairs...?"
Jeff: "Oh, I like that too."

So now we have yet another boy who likes WWF. What is it with boys and violence? I'm so glad we took advantage of that teachable moment. YEAH...

1 comment:

Jenny H said...

It just goes to show boys will be boys no matter where they are from.