Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Look what I did!

Last week, Jameson was upset about her hair. We had it braided in Ethiopia for 20 burr which is about $2. It looked so awesome, and I was ready to leave it as long as it looked good. I was dealing with so much those first few weeks, I just wasn't ready to try to learn how to take care of her hair... I admit it; I was afraid! She was unhappy and I guess just plain tired of it, so we took out her braids. It took Jaiden, Jameson and I about an hour and a half to take out the braids. I jumped in with both feet and washed it, beauty salon style in the kitchen sink, put in the detangler/conditioner I had bought and styled it as best as I could. It wasn't nearly as frightening as I thought it would be. It was actually a really great bonding time for us, as she spoke more English that evening than I have heard the entire time she's been here. She was very gracious and said she liked what I did with it even though I haven't learned how to braid yet. I think it will take some time to figure out what we're doing, and the braids are definitely easier, but way more expensive here in the US. For the same braids we paid $2 in Africa, it will cost over $100 here.
Of course, Justine needed her hair done as well. Aren't they beautiful?

Justine loves her new sister, can you tell?

No comments: