Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Brothers

This is a story about two brothers. Two brothers with similar aspirations. Two brothers who both wanted to achieve greatness. One brother had a natural God given gift. The other brother gave it his heart and soul and time. He practiced day in and day out. He was good. He just wan't as good as the other brother. There must have been some competition between brothers. There must have been hurt feelings along the way. How does a mother allow one brother to excel exponentially and explain to the other brother that they are just as special? How does a mother shine a light on the gifts and talents of all of her children and explain that they are all as wonderful and special as the one receiving all the accolades?

Nope, I'm not talking about Romulus and Remus... although I wonder if Mama Wolf ever felt bad that Romulus was the one to found what became the Roman empire... of course he killed his brother in order to do so... OK this was a bad example. Move on.
Nope, not these famous brothers either...
How did Babs make sure brother Jeb didn't feel like a loser? I'm sure this picture didn't help...
What about these brothers? One a gorgeous hunk of a movie star...err, I mean a talented actor making history with his philantrophy. The other brother living in the same boring city as me working on computers.... (snore)
What about David Cook; this year's American Idol? His brother tried out for AI and made him try out along with him... guess who won? The one who didn't really want to try out. Go figure.
Nope, I'm not talking about any of those brothers. I'm talking about these brothers.
Jack has played soccer since the year before Kindergarten. In comes Josh, a soccer superstar. A soccer superstar that people in this city are beginning to recognize and stop and say things like, "Everyone is talking about you. You're the man. There's no one in the State who we (SSC team) can't beat with you on the team..." And on and on.
Jack is a very good natured boy. He has so many wonderful and amazing talents. They just aren't advertised on a soccer field. I can see his little face looking somewhat forlorn when people begin bragging on Josh, and while I am SO happy for Josh, I can't help but feel a little bit bad for the boy who has been practicing and playing on a team for 5 years and is now in the shadow of his new brother. So how does a mother keep the playing field level? How do you make sure brothers learn to be happy and excited for each other, but also make sure they feel secure and happy with their own accomplishments? I don't know the answer to this, but here's what we're trying to do. We are trying to let Jack excel at the things he really is good at. We want him to be proud of his accomplishments in the many different areas that he is really, really great at.... school, music, reading and yes,
guitar hero champion of this house.
We will just continue to allow all of the kids to be individuals and to let them excel at what they do best, while embracing and feeling happy for their siblings.

5 comments:

Jordan said...

I think it would be pretty hard to feel like a loser compared to Bush, but the other examples were sound. You forgot Cain and Abel! Errrr...

ellerbee eight said...

I shold have known you'd have something to say about Bush! HA. I did think of Cain and Abel, but I thought one example of a brother who killed another was enough... I also considered Ben and Casey Affleck, JFK and Edward Kennedy, Michael and Tito Jackson (or Jermaine, Marlon or Jackie) JOJO- We miss you so much it hurts!

Linda said...

Maybe God gave Josh the talent to make up for all the people and talents Jack has in all other areas and in his life. It can be hard to have a hurt child. I wish you the wisdom of Solomon.

Jenny H said...

“Do not seek revenge or bear a grudge against one of your people, but love your neighbor as yourself. I am the LORD.”- Leviticus 19:18

Sometimes easier said than done. I think you are doing wonderful job being a mother to these to boys. I Just wanted you to know how much I admire you as a mom. Love you all.
jenny

Chris said...

My heart goes out to you and your boys. I was once told that a mother is ONLY as happy as her saddest child. Praise God that your son Jack found the joy of soccer. More than I want my children to be the best at something in this life, I want them to enjoy and embrace life!
Blessings,
Chris