Friday, February 29, 2008

1,2,3,4,5

I so wish I had pictures for this one, but I was at a swimming pool with 5 children.... need I say more? I spent the better part of two hours going 1,2,3,4,5 1,2,3,4,5 1,2,3,4,5... Those of you who have more than 1 child will know exactly what I'm talking about. This was the first time for Joshua and Jameson to go swimming. We went over the basic rules of the pool, and gave limits for how far they could go out etc. They go barreling into the water...Jameson falls over in the shallow end, goes under, jumps up and starts squealing with laughter. Joshua is "swimming" with his face and arms while walking on the bottom. After Jameson got her first mouth full of water, she was stuck to me like glue. "She's my mama," she was telling the other girls when they would try to hold onto me. When I tried to get her to stand in the shallow end, she would say, "Mama, I can't sweeeem." It was absolutely hysterical. Joshua made his way all over that pool. He would go under and then jump up all discombobulated and unbalanced. I kept thinking he's going to fall over again, but he would somehow get his balance again. Jameson wanted to climb on my back to swim the whole time. When people found out we were adopting older children, we had people say, "you'll miss out on all of the firsts." I now know that this is completely and utterly untrue. Watching my kids swim for the first time and hearing them SCREAM and SQUEAL in utter joy was actually better than some of the firsts we've missed with them. I cannot even explain to you how happy they were. Even the people in the pool that we didn't know were smiling and laughing watching these kids experience swimming for a first time! Maybe next time I'll be brave enough to take a camera. 1,2,3,4,5 1,2,3,4,5 1,2,3,4,5...

1 comment:

Julia said...

I LOVE this story Gina! I keep feeling there is an older boy at some point in our future and stories like this keep me hopeful that it really will happen and when it does it will be wonderful! :-)