Thursday, June 18, 2009

We been experimentin'

That's Ozark slang for the science experimentation we have experienced in summer school thus far.

My kids love science. I love science. But it is summer!

Because we are homeschooling during the summer (I know... boo hiss...,) I am trying to make it as much fun as possible. As I've said before, we don't homeschool because we believe the public school system to be bad or unable to educate our children; I just really (usually) enjoy being with them, watching them learn, and re-learning right along with them. We are having a good time with our study of plants.

These were our plants on June 7th


Our plants on June 17th... check out those roots!


We have been learning about dicots and monocots and primary roots and secondary roots. My kids can tell you anything you want to know about photosynthesis. I am so proud of them. I am especially proud that the experiments I planned ACTUALLY worked the way they're supposed to! You gotta love that!
Check out the seed coat on this baby.

Proving the theory of cohesion of water molecules and the process by which water is suctioned UP a root... a piece of celery has soaked up the red food coloring.
How cool is that?

The kids have their final on Wednesday July 8th before we leave for the Hope Reunion 2009 in Ft Worth. I have warned them, it's gonna be a doozy. Let's hope we fit some studying in somewhere.
Photobucket

No comments: